Hey guys so this is our fourth recipe for our Valentines day recipe ideas week thing. I’m good with coming up with names aren’t I. Anyway, for the recipe I pretty much made it up as I went along but it came out amazingly well. So I had some puff pastry left over and figured I would try some experimenting.
I used half a pack of frozen Puff pastry it makes about 10
For the filling you can use whatever your heart desires or whats lying around in the fridge.
Here’s what I used
Small handful of fresh spinach
1 cup of chorizo sausage cut up
1/2 cup of ham
1 tomato chopped up
1 1/2 cups of grated cheese
1 crushed garlic clove
large pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 tbsp of dry italian herbs or fresh herbs chopped finely.
1 tbsp of olive oil
1. OK firstly lets pre heat our ovens to gas mark 5
2. Right for my herb cheese, grab your pestle and mortar, or just a bowl and something to smoosh ingredients down and chuck in your cheese. add the oil and seasonings then crush your garlic into the mix. That’s the herb cheese bit done.
3. Now get your pastry and roll it out thinly on a lightly floured surface. Now if I was a professional chef, or a regular baker I would tell you how thin, but alas I’m not. But don’t fret I am not leaving you in the lurch here is a picture..
4. Cut your pastry into triangles to form the base of your croissant. Cue another picture.
5. Now start to fill your croissants. Don’t over fill as the plan is to roll them into shape, and to keep them intact.
6. Now to roll your croissants. The easiest way I do it is just to roll from the bottom (wider end of the triangle) to the top, and pinch together the ends to minimise ooze out. here a picture…
7. Do the rest of your croissants then beat your egg and brush over the croissants. Place on some baking parchment and put in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until puffy and brown.
There you have it. Savoury stuffed croissants. The variations are endless. You could do brie and cranberry, apple, goats cheese and walnut, a whole turkey dinner stuffed in a croissant. Anything. I think next I might try some sweet ones. Grapefruit, brown sugar and honey maybe…who knows.
Well I hope you enjoyed our recipe for today. Make something special for your sweetheart. Tune into tomorrow for our last recipe for Valentines day!