What you need
For the cake:
120ml whole milk
3 tablespoons dried lavender flowers or 3 tablespoons of lavender syrup
120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
For the icing:
25ml whole milk
1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers or 1 tablespoon of lavender syrup
250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
A couple of drops of purple food colouring (optional)
A 12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases
1.Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark three.
2. On a very low heat infuse your milk with the dry lavender or lavender syrup. Do this for a couple of minutes then leave to cool. Do both batches for your icing and cake mixture to save time.
Ok so I tried out both methods with using dry lavender infused in the milk, and using my lavender syrup. The syrup was more subtle so I preferred the syrup cakes, but both work well.
3. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter in a bowl and mix until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
4. Strain the lavender-infused milk and slowly pour (the amount for the cakes) into the flour mixture, beating well until all the ingredients are well mixed.
You can add your food colouring while combining the mixture.
5. Add the egg and beat well.
6. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean.
For the icing.
1. Beat together the icing sugar, butter and food colouring.
2. Add the infused milk into the mixture and beat together.
3. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy (at least five minutes). The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.
4. When the cupcakes are cold, spoon the lavender frosting on top and decorate with a sprig of lavender.
I also tried combining flavours alternating the lavender cakes and icing. Lemon goes really well with lavender and so I did a plain lemon cupcake using the lavender icing which went sooo well together!! Tune in next week for fun lavender cocktails!!
I got the original recipe from Hummingbird Bakery book, which is awesome and has such fantastic recipes in it! I recommend you check it out!!